[EFI] RE: PWM an electromagnetic (A/C) clutch?

Chris Waltham chris at harvestroad.com
Thu Dec 20 08:56:26 GMT 2001

>Biggest thing though, is that no prom will change the boost from
>a supercharger.  It's controlled by the pulley ratio.  But, if
>you could PWM a clutch on the SC pulley, you could contol slip
>to get, in effect, different ratios and lower boost.  I'm not
>trying to get a valet mode here.  I'm trying to see if I can
>lower boost on demand without changing pulleys.

A company over here in Australia (can't remember the name, but
I can find out if you're interested) did a sort of "boost
controller" with a supercharger a while back.

The engine was a 4.6L Ford Mustang V8 (I think you guys call
them "modular" engines?), fitted into a two-door Ford Falcon
Coupe (prototype). I think they used a Sprintex supercharger,
together with their own engine management units. They had
a throttle body with some sort of electronically-variable
throttle, so that they could (in a bizarre sort of way)
control boost over the rev range. Not sure if it would help
you, but it made for interesting reading.

Chris