Datalogging RPM signal

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Fri Dec 21 07:03:17 GMT 2001

Glen

Do you have any incite as to the physics being used with that device.

What inputs are used to calculate the HP / TQ numbers?  And how is the drag
from wind added to the equation.

How about the actual vs corrected values on the web site, what is used to
calculate them?

I would love to see some of the formulas being used.  I am sure its all
basic physics, but I am not sure where those books are anymore.  Think there
in a box at my parents place?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Beard [mailto:gbeard1 at nycap.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 10:47 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: Datalogging RPM signal

"Porter, Bill" wrote:

> Follow instructions at this link
> http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/homedyno.htm#inst to make an
> inductive pick up.  The link uses the pick up to drive the MIC input on
your
> laptop.  From here I'm unsure of how to configure to time sync with the
wide
> band and the DataQ software.  I haven't used the DataQ yet to see if it
will
> accept outside signals.  Don't know what type of voltage you will get off
of
> pick up to drive DataQ directly

As a matter of fact, I bought that thing from him and made
up my own pickup just like he described about 3 years ago.
(His software works pretty well as long as the info you feed
it isn't too far off.)  I haven't measured the output
spikes, but they are easily viewable on the waveform
editor.  It also shows quite a bit of noise.

Is there an IC out there to use these triggers to build a
nice 0-5V square wave for use as an input to the DAQ?

--
Glen Beard  95 T/A conv M6
355, Vortech, heads, cam...