Turbo Chubby parts

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Fri Dec 21 07:18:36 GMT 2001

I just had to jump in. It's good to get the last 5% from a combination, but if
you only want a 50% increase in power, here is an example:  350 sbc, Accel kit,
T04B, 650 Holley, 2 bolt block, stock cast crank, rods, and pistons, 450+ ft lbs
from 2500-4500, all done by 5000 (T04B too small), 50K miles - 2 years w/o
touching it. 10-11 lbs boost w/ muffler and 13+ w/o muffler. The boost needle
was chipped by banging against the limit pit @ 15 lbs. (it did, however, take
two other $100 engines to sort it out). No intercooler.  It had a 10lb propane
water tank presurized by boost w/ a 0.080 jet pointed directly at the center of
the compressor. Not good for life expectancy, but turbo cores are cheap. I never
had a problem with it, bought it user and sold it the same way.

Upstream water gets "evaporated" by the compressor, cools the charge, and allows
the compressor to pump more air to keep the boost up making even more power...
and aggravating the small size of the compressor.  Keep it simple.  You guys
that are on the ragged edge, disregard this.. Tom S