Datalogging RPM signal

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai at xperts.cl
Sun Dec 23 22:24:56 GMT 2001

Hi, I'm writing an opensource program to plot HP curves and monitor/log
engine RPMs. I'm using a voltage divider to pick the 12V signal from the coil
input. The input is recorded with my soundcard using the Line input.
I'm having troubles with trying to figure out how to count the spikes,
because the signal I get is VERY far from a square wave :). And with my
ignition, when the RPM goes up, the signal amplitude goes DOWN ....so no
static treshold for counting spikes :/.
The input for the HP measurement I'm using is the tire diameter, gearbox
ratio, differencial ratio, vehicle weight, nr. of cylinders (for calculating
each 360 deg. engine turn)
The formulas I'm working with are based on converting the engine rotations in
distance traveled. Then I apply the basic motion formulas to calculate speed,
acceleration, force, work and power.
I'm calculating the drag from the desacceleration... I know this isn't
completely right, but I don't know the Cd of my truck, so I wanted to have a
rough estimate.
My program is in it's very beggining stages, anyone wants to participate in
such project?.  It's being programmed under Linux with KDE gui.

Tomas Sokorai.