eDIST, or ignition the final answer

Moofaloof at aol.com Moofaloof at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 22:05:47 GMT 2001

--part1_45.111b5eaf.29590330_boundary

I've been wanting to try the eDist for a while now.  How did you mount the
LS1 coil packs Bruce ?  Any interference problems with between coil and/or
plug wires and headers?

In a message dated 12/23/01 9:02:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nacelp at bright.net writes:

>   In case you haven't heard FAST has a neat little deal called eDIST that
> allows you to run the Coil Near Plug set up found on LS1 cars on other
> applications.  In case you haven't been under the hood of a LS1, they have
> one ignition coil pwer cylinder.
>   The one little gotcha in interfacing it is that to be sure you have a
> full
> time EST signal.  On GM ecms they may not be a full time EST signal from
> the
> ECM.  ie on the GNs it looks like there is a 250 rpm min threshold for the
> timing calculation.   What I did was use a 1K pull up resistor, and then
> the
> coil triggers tied together as *point* signal, that inverted the signal,
> but
> the eDIST has a selector switch for correcting that.
>   I just got mine running on my GN yesterday, so testing for the moment is
> scetchy.  But, there does seem to be a noticable change in the way the car
> runs.
>   If one ign coil is good,  3 must be better,  and 6 is just enough <g>
> More notes as things progress
>   I can say the idle seems cleaner, my normal cruise TPS, is about .84v at
> 65, with the eDIST it's now at .8, thou the average might be closer to
> .78..
> I doubt anyone has a lower throttle opening then I do for cruise, and to
> improve on it would take some doing, and, installing the eDIST did.   I
> passed some cars in a 55 zone during the first test drive, and well, I was
> caught off guard with the way it responded

--part1_45.111b5eaf.29590330_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#0000a0" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Lucida Sans" LANG="0">I've been wanting to try the eDist for a while now.&nbsp; How did you mount the LS1 coil packs Bruce ?&nbsp; Any interference problems with between coil and/or plug wires and headers?<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 12/23/01 9:02:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, nacelp at bright.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&nbsp; In case you haven't heard FAST has a neat little deal called eDIST that<BR>
allows you to run the Coil Near Plug set up found on LS1 cars on other<BR>
applications.&nbsp; In case you haven't been under the hood of a LS1, they have<BR>
one ignition coil pwer cylinder.<BR>
&nbsp; The one little gotcha in interfacing it is that to be sure you have a full<BR>
time EST signal.&nbsp; On GM ecms they may not be a full time EST signal from the<BR>
ECM.&nbsp; ie on the GNs it looks like there is a 250 rpm min threshold for the<BR>
timing calculation.&nbsp;&nbsp; What I did was use a 1K pull up resistor, and then the<BR>
coil triggers tied together as *point* signal, that inverted the signal, but<BR>
the eDIST has a selector switch for correcting that.<BR>
&nbsp; I just got mine running on my GN yesterday, so testing for the moment is<BR>
scetchy.&nbsp; But, there does seem to be a noticable change in the way the car<BR>
runs.<BR>
&nbsp; If one ign coil is good,&nbsp; 3 must be better,&nbsp; and 6 is just enough &lt;g&gt;<BR>
More notes as things progress<BR>
&nbsp; I can say the idle seems cleaner, my normal cruise TPS, is about .84v at<BR>
65, with the eDIST it's now at .8, thou the average might be closer to .78..<BR>
I doubt anyone has a lower throttle opening then I do for cruise, and to<BR>
improve on it would take some doing, and, installing the eDIST did.&nbsp;&nbsp; I<BR>
passed some cars in a 55 zone during the first test drive, and well, I was<BR>
caught off guard with the way it responded</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000a0" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Lucida Sans" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_45.111b5eaf.29590330_boundary--