Air/Fuel Monitor

Erik Quackenbush erik at midwestfilter.com
Wed Dec 26 22:09:04 GMT 2001

When I put an A/F meter in my TR6 I started with a bar graph LED display
like you but I later switched to an analog gauge from Westach
(http://www.westach.com) which I find MUCH easier to read in bright
sunlight. The other problem I had with the LED display is that it changed
so quickly that I spent too much time looking at it and not enough looking
at the road. The needle on my analog gauge moves slowly and give me a much
better idea of my average A/F ratio at idle and cruise. I suppose you could
put a low pass filter on the input to the LED display for the same effect
but the needle gauge looks right at home under my dash.

For a much more accurate A/F meter you might want to look into the
DIY-wideband O2 sensor project from the DIY-EFI
(http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi/projects/diy_wb/) mailing list. Standard O2
sensors are only accurate for a small range around stoichiometric and thus
are only useful to indicate rich or lean. A wideband sensor (found on Honda
ultra low emission engines) is accurate
enough to tell you precisely HOW rich or lean you are but you need a
special signal conditioning circuit to use one. I haven't built mine yet so
I can't report any results. The 5-wire wideband sensors are expensive ($120
and up) but some generous individuals on the DIY-EFI mailing list have
arranged for group purchases of printed circuit boards and component kits
for around $20 and they may have some left.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566  http://www.midwestfilter.com