EFI control

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Wed Feb 7 16:43:43 GMT 2001

Agreed, I was closely involved with the design of a robust ECM for an OEM
industrial engine company, and the level of robustness was far above what
most of the aftermarket types sell.  You can't just throw components on a
board,
stuff it in an aluminum case and expect it to survive.  The customers were
always
sending units back with problems.  And this was a waterproof case, gasketed,
conformal coated, EMI shielded, diode protected, etc. ad nauseum.
Our harnesses used crosslinked polyethylene wire, waterproof connections at
all points,
hi temp poly conduit, with hi temp tape over everything.  We STILL had
problems
with stuff melting.  NO WAY that SDS harness holds up in an engine
environment.
His cables appear to be multi-conductor cable available in catalogs.  Is his
crank
signal shielded?  Twisted?  Doubt it.

To be fair, the typical Accel offering isn't up to snuff either.  The
motronic is nice,
but $$$, and the high-end Accel unit is waterproof, but not much better
internally than
the standard batch box.  About the nicest one I've seen is the FP
performance one, which
has a nice waterproof cast aluminum case, and conformal coated, but the
internals are straight
from Accel stuff, which makes sense since the guy who started FP performance
was one of the
original founders of DFI/Accel.  He pretty much copied the design.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Mark