EFI control

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Wed Feb 7 19:03:57 GMT 2001

> No, and Yes,
> No problem.
> I think the design and execution of the current pcms is at
> least elegant.
> But, it didn't happen over night, and an aftermarket
> companies have no where
> near the talent that say GM does.

Fine - if you're going to design an ECU for aftermarket use, I'd at least
expect that you've benchmarked everything you can get your hands on.
There's a lot of history out there to be learned from, if one wants to take
the time (haven't I heard you say nearly the same thing?).

> But, that doesn't mean
> there can't be
> other answers for other applications.  All things being
> Equal, I'd rather
> forgo pretty packaging.  Pretty like they say is skin deep.
> Well executed,
> reliable, are all seperate issues.

There isn't anything "pretty" about a properly-designed enclosure that
incorporates proper environmental and EMC protection, or a harness that uses
materials and parts that are proper for the job.  A well-built PCB assembly
isn't just "pretty" - a clean design is likely to be more reliable in the
field.  When I look at something like the PCM on my desk, I don't just see a
"pretty" module; I see a module that someone designed for the environment
that it's used in.

This isn't just a problem with the aftermarket guys - the motorcycle OEMs
are horrible in many of these same aspects.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante