Transistor Ignition question

Branko Badrljica brankob at avtomatika.com
Thu Feb 8 17:17:55 GMT 2001

When replacing the bad part it all depends on transistor used.
It would be verz helpful if he could include schematics of what was near the
broken part.
Then, one might be able to guess what was used originally. BTW: Does originnaly
used transistor have
some marking on it ?

I have done one or two designs for our magazine and I have to say that modern
FETs rule here.
Only drawback is necessity to have 10V voltage levels just to drive them, BUT:

- modern FET can live through overvoltage spikes, if energy amount is
reasonable, even repetitively.
So your 600V FET will simply clamp occasional spikes over 600V with no harm
done, if energy of the spike
would not meltdown the silicon !
- they can turn on and off VERY fast- which translates to very high induced
voltages and
very reliable spark. IIRC mine was able to switch in some 15 ns!
-they have inherent antiparallel diode which prevents them from the oposite
polarity inductive kick of the ignition coil...
- modern FETs have very low resistance when fully on, so power dissipation is
minimal.

IGBTs are meant to reach higher current densities than simple FETs, but they are
much slower
and can suffer from bipolar illnesses. For simple ignition coils they are
unneccesary, anyway.

Regards,

Branko.

BTW: I'm thinking about doing whole thing again and writing an article about it.

So, I would like to know, what are generally required properties of these things
(cylinder numbers,
internal calculation of advance angle etc.
Is there any demand for these things nowadays ?