EFI control

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Thu Feb 8 21:40:19 GMT 2001

Maybe the low end manufacturers do understand the environment, and just
choose not to build to that spec.  I don't know.  What I do know is that
it's not good enough around here.  I know it can be done, since I
participated
in such an effort.  I disagree that you can't charge more than your
competitors,
you can if you provide a better product.  Motec does this.  Perhaps this
argument should be that there's no nice middle ground of systems, which
have complete weatherproofing, high quality harnesses, etc.  24K gold
plating
is not necessary when you weatherproof properly.

I am not looking for a ferrari of controllers, just a middle-road mercedes.

Please define 'real world'.  Do you mean that you don't really need EMI
testing?
You don't really need corrosion resistance?  Aftermarket EFI is only for
racers
and weekend hobby cars?  Bull puckey.

There is a market for these features.  No one seems to be in it.  If you
come back and say Motec, I say - I don't need Milspec connectors and armored
harnesses.
I don't need a box you can drop off the eiffel tower and have it survive.
I need an OEM quality box that has OEM quality connections, that I can
program with a laptop on DOS/UNIX software, and buy for ~$1500 or so, out
the door.

And I can't comment on the Wolf system, I've never seen or heard of it.
The argument started on the quality of the SDS system's wiring.  That was my
beef,
it's not good enough for it to cost $1000.

And I disagree with someones' comment that engineering types don't have a
grip on
marketing/sales.  You can teach an engineer to market and sell product, you
cannot teach
a salesman to engineer something, unless he's already smart enough to get an
engineering
degree on his own.