Trying to decide on RPM & crank angle sensor

James Ballenger vtjballeng at yifan.net
Fri Feb 9 06:47:38 GMT 2001

>>Hall effect sensors seem to be very popular. All you need is a toothed
>wheel
>>and a sensor, right? What does the output signal look like?
>
>Order a hall effect gear tooth sensor from digi-key. Make sure
>you get a
>gear tooth sensor, not just a normal sensor. Allegro make a
>nice one that
>outputs TTL with no bounce or other crap. I just expoxied it,
>a tiny rare
>earth
>magnet, and a piece of steel (to act as a pole piece) in a
>piece of copper
>tube.
>Pretty robust solution.

	Please be extremely careful with this.  Keep in mind the engine he will be
using can rev to 14,100 rpm.  I have seen some very robust solutions fly out
of the wheel at insane speed... it might as well be shooting a bullet at
you.  For his app, he will need a good design and a good hole to place the
magnets in with high strength epoxy and possibly some peening.  At this
speed precision in the magnet placement is also extremely important as is
the air gap.

James Ballenger