More on MBE

Fredrik Skog c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Sun Feb 11 16:28:48 GMT 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, DIY_EFI Digest wrote:

Hi all!

The actual price I don't know exactly, because I was in a group buy with
a few other guys so we got a nice discount, But we paid 890$ for the
control unit with windows software and a connector that fits the box. I
think that the actual price is near 1300$.
The connector is for building your own wiring harness or just making an
adapter from an existing motronic harness. I have no Idea if they make
custom fit harnesses, but probably they do. The name of the connector I
don't know about, but it is an AMP connentor part no 0-963533-1. It has
55 pins in it and looks almost like a Bosch motronic connector. It has a
rubber seal so I think it's weather proof. The connenctor also have an
metal thing to lock it into place for a secure fit against the
control unit. The Control unit is made from billet aluminum with
an o-ring sealed lid. All the parts are surface mount on a single PCB.
The dimensions are 16x13.6cm (6.3x5.3 inches) All in all the unit
looks very nice and robust. Alot more robust than most OEM boxes I have
seen. I know looks and feel isn't everything, but It sure feels
comforting. If the outside is this well built, then it's a good chance the
inside is equally well built.
MBE have supplied engine management computers to Opel rally cars and now
they have made a deal with TWR. I think they also make OEM units for
motorcycles, marine use and aviation.

If anyone has experience with this unit I would be interested to hear
about it.

/Fredrik Skog