Waste Spark Coils

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 22:59:07 GMT 2001

> I am looking for a good recommendation for a Waste Spark Coil.
>
> Engine Performance is 8000 rpm max limit and the compression is 12:1.
This
> is a 4 cylinder engine.  This is nothing exotic,  but the stock
distributor
> has been replaced with an aftermarket Engine Management system

Paul, you can use the GM/Ford coils with aftermarket or Bosch single
ignitors, assuming your Engine Management will do the triggering.  Or, you
can make your life a lot easier and get a pair of leading edge coils from
an RX-7.  The 2nd gen. RX-7 uses waste spark coils, essentially, which
have ignitors and coils integrated in one large unit.  They cost anywhere
from $80-150 per pair, used.  I have 4 waste spark coils, but only need
two for my car.  If you twist my arm, I *might* be willing to part with
the extra two.  Make sure your FI system will support the RX-7 coils.
Since RX-7 are known for turning crazy RPMs, I think they can support your
rev limit.

Hope this helps.
Jay

jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com