Honda Direct Fire Coils

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Thu Feb 22 13:36:53 GMT 2001

Other than issues with not being able to fully saturate the coil, I don't
see a problem with firing them as a waste-spark setup.  I'm sure Honda
designed the coils and drivers to be used this way.  I'm not aware of any
motorcycles that use a cam sensor in a non-EFI application (there may be
some; I just haven't seen them).  You might want to look at the Yamaha R6,
since that also runs CNP in a carbureted application.

My Suzuki TL1000R uses a cam sensor to fire each plug only on the combustion
stroke, but it can run without the cam sensor as a waste-fire setup.  I'm
not sure what effect this has on spark intensity at high revs, since I
haven't done any dyno pulls in any limp-home modes:)

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante