Waste Spark Coils

James Ballenger vtjballeng at yifan.net
Fri Feb 23 01:34:27 GMT 2001

	$20 buys you a very strong two post waste spark coil (for two cylinders).
The ignitors I am using now are Smart Bosch units that I have been able to
source for $35 each so it is $55/2 per cylinder or $27.50 for my
application.  You could use cheaper ignitors to reduce the cost, I use the
smart ones because I rev from 1400 rpm to 14000 rpm.  These coils require
some sort of mount.

	The GM coils with ignitors built in are CNP and require 1 per cylinder.
These are $40 per cylinder and I don't think they are any stronger than the
waste spark coils.  I am also unsure of the ignitor circuit with regard to
whether or not they are auto-dwell (Smart).  I have a GM part #, but I have
to verify it.  These coils can be directly mounted.

James Ballenger