Honda Direct Fire Coils

James Ballenger vtjballeng at yifan.net
Fri Feb 23 01:34:25 GMT 2001

	It does seem that Honda is using them in a waste spark setup,but this seems
odd to me because of the following.  The waste spark coils will charge and
fire most of the voltage on the side with higher resistance (compression) in
theory.  Therefore most of the voltage will go to the firing cylinder and
will be used towards combustion.  If you charge up 2 coils at the same time
for 2 cylinders, they will both fire fully and will therefore have a full
spark a few degrees ahead of the intake stroke on the second cylinder.  It
seems that firing fully on both (CNP) instead of firing partially (waste
spark) would be an unnecessary draw.  Lemme know if this makes any sense ;-)

James Ballenger