Honda Direct Fire Coils

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Fri Feb 23 13:23:51 GMT 2001

> From: James Ballenger [mailto:vtjballeng at yifan.net]
> Subject: RE: Honda Direct Fire Coils
>

> 	It does seem that Honda is using them in a waste spark
> setup,but this seems
> odd to me because of the following.  The waste spark coils
> will charge and
> fire most of the voltage on the side with higher resistance
> (compression) in
> theory.  Therefore most of the voltage will go to the firing
> cylinder and
> will be used towards combustion.  If you charge up 2 coils at
> the same time
> for 2 cylinders, they will both fire fully and will therefore
> have a full
> spark a few degrees ahead of the intake stroke on the second
> cylinder.  It
> seems that firing fully on both (CNP) instead of firing
> partially (waste
> spark) would be an unnecessary draw.  Lemme know if this
> makes any sense ;-)

Yea, I can understand where you're coming from.  At this point, I think you
would need to question the capacity of the bike's charging system - can the
bike supply sufficient current to fully-charge both coils?  Seeing as how
most bikes have pathetic charging systems (especially the permament-magnet
types at low revs), I think it's a fair question on your behalf.  Thanks for
explaining your point.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante