Ignitors

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 27 05:05:59 GMT 2001

Pardon the ignorance here but i want to see if i can not clear something up
(in my head I'm sure).  simply stated is an ignitor a coil driver?  is this
the device that takes the low current triggering signal & drives the high
current primary side of the coil?

if this is the case then by smart ignitor that means that the driver has
some type of timing circuit in it & after XXX uSeconds it will
automatically change states on the driver.  if this is true then it would
follow that this would probably just be  simple RC time constant that holds
the charge @ the "gate" to the driver & then when it bleeds down to some
threshold it changes the state of the driver (in uSeconds i would imagine)?

the not so obvious reason for using a smart ignitor VS a "dumb" one would
be that if it did not auto fire that the constant current going though the
ignitor for a "long" period of time (long being a relative term here) might
overheat it & cause the smoke to be let out of it.

--- Bob Wooten
--- r71chevy at earthlink.net
--- www.r71camaro.homestead.com

PS am going to have to change email programs to get rid of the HTML thing.
i have outlook on this machine, but not in use.  any thoughts?