newbie with questions

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Tue Feb 27 06:11:30 GMT 2001

Hello, Dave.

1st:  always plan on doing more tuning.  Even if everything's perfect, you'll end
up changing something and want to retune.  It's habit forming.

2nd:  Tuner cat is good.  I use GMEPro (never let me down yet).  Also, there's some
good ecu definition files for the freebie editor winbin.

3rd:  Absolutely consider using the spark control capabilities of the ecm.  It
makes a world of difference.  Imagine having a distributor which could add advance
at 1000 rpm, take it away at 1100, then add it again at 1200 rpm.  Years of playing
with mechanical weights and vacuum advances will never give the control you can get
with the ecm.  Tho there's some folks who swear the mechanical curve is the best
possible.  ???

4th: Give yourself plenty of time to climb the learning curve.  From one tech to
another, you may think you know computer controlled cars now, but it all changes
once you start doing your own tuning.

You might want to sign up to the gmecm list, and look through the gmecm web page.
Robert Rauscher has posted some good stuff.  Bruce Plecan (another tech) has posted
some good docs on getting started tuning.

Best guess on 65#/hr injectors is a 91 cop car.  There are archives you can
download from the diy-efi and gmecm web sites.

Shannen