Haltech/igniton issues,combat together to make one BIG issue.

Kris Weldy volvo4life at home.com
Tue Feb 27 06:17:25 GMT 2001

Ok guys,i have a really strange situation that ive been trying to track for
a few months,and quite frankly its been kicking my butt.Heres the subject-a
1987(prepares for beating) 760turbo volvo(heavily modded) .I have in it a
stock ignition system with a haltech f7c programmable fuel injection(
amoungst many other things).

My problem is that the car will "cut out" or fall on its face if i floor it
past 3500 and hit 8psi-sometimes 15psi-sometimes 20psi.Its really bad
now,constantly doing it.Ive tracked the problem thus far to the haltech.When
running at 3500rpm (,the haltech gets the tach signal from the coil as to
what the motor is turning,) the haltech engine info screen reads fine,but
when i floor it and it hits higher boost it instantly jumps up to 6800rpm
and higher when the motor is actually only turning 4000rpm.I had a similiar
problem when i had a waterspray system for the intercooler that would engage
at 5psi.I accidentally tapped into a wire that supplied power to the coil-so
at 5psi when the waterspray engaged,my haltech went crazy and did the same
exact thing.Unhooked it and whala,all is good(thatll teach me to be an idiot
and tap into unknown wires).Now its obvious that the problem is either too
much voltage to the coil-or not enough,causing the haltech to try to "figure
out" what rpm the motor is actually turning.What can i do to eliminate this
situation?Any other ways i can test the ignition sytem to see exactly what
is going on?
  I have tested the coil,the spark plugs,the wires,the coil,so on and so
forth-all is good and i even tried throwing new parts at it just
incase,still the same problem.Im at a loss guys,and im willing to show my
ignorance in a last attempt to beg for help.I have even resorted to wiring
the coil straight from the battery with no difference made at all(i made a
switch of course  :)  ).
Thanks for any help.
--
Kris Weldy (AIM: VolvoFam3)
Arlington, TX

Underhood pic and car pic ,other details here...
http://www.volvospeed.com/html_thumbs/chris.htm