Pop Off Valve

Mark S. Riley turbotuneusltd at triad.rr.com
Tue Jan 2 14:11:33 GMT 2001

Bruce, do you want a "pop off" valve or a "bypass" valve. The large HKS
bypass valve can be used as a popoff but they do have an adjustable pop off
valve. Are you having boost spikes or is this preventive medicine? Problem
with any mechanical spring loaded valve is that it will start to "bleed"
before it gets to the set pressure. The closest I've seen to a open/shut
mechanical valve is the "Grainger valve". It's a vacuum check valve that can
be reversed and used as a pressure check valve. Have to change the spring
inside to get them to work up as high as 25 psi but they are very effective.
http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mike.html
This fellow explains how to modify and use the valves. I've used the 2 step
setup on GN's at 15 and 25 psi with NO boost spiking with both Terry Houston
downpipes and Turbonectics wastegates. Very effective. I use a pressure
regulated air supply in the shop to set the "G valve" to about 2 psi less
than the boost level I want to see on the guage. Mark Riley