[OT] Boom boom sound

Morten T Nielsen mortentn at mailme.dk
Wed Jan 3 13:18:40 GMT 2001

Hi

My VW has a 2' exhaust and it has never backfired. Some time ago the exhaust-manifold couldn't take the rust anymore and it blew a little hole in itself. Since then the car obviously sounds like an old Nimbus motorcycle and when I lift the throttle the car backfires. - and the only thing that has changed is the tiny hole in the exhaust. So I think it is simply a matter of getting oxygen into the exhaust so that the left over fumes from the combustion can be ignited!

If you want to go wild I have seen engines with another pair of sparkplugs in the exhaustmanifold - at idle the engine actually spewed flames out of the exhaust. Ofcourse this also needs some serious enrichening of the gasoline/air mixture ;-)

Morten