MAF transfer curves

Rodney_L_Wiggins at keybank.com Rodney_L_Wiggins at keybank.com
Wed Jan 3 13:03:35 GMT 2001

Different transfer curves for MAFs?
Is this true?? I was led to believe that voltage output was linear
with respect to airflow for all makes. The only difference being
the sizes and connectors used. I don't mean to question Chris but
This would have some serious implications for my flapper-conversion
project so I'm very curious.
Thanks,
Rod

>Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 00:36:47 -0500
>From: Chris Conlon <synchris at ricochet.net>
>Subject: MAF transfer curves

>I was wondering a bit about MAF transfer curves.

>I seem to remember people mentioning that some MAFs (GM perhaps)
>had a voltage output that was linear with respect to airflow.

>In the archives I found that someone else, using a Bosch MAF,
>found that airflow varied as the square of voltage. (Or, voltage
>output varied as the square root of airflow.)

>Looking at the curve for a random Pro-flow MAF
><http://www.pro-flow.com/24flow.htm>
>it appears that airflow varies as the cube of the voltage. (If you
>plot V vs the cube root of airflow, you get a straight line.) As
>near as I can tell these units are intended for Ford applications.

>I wonder what other transfer curves are out there? Are there any
>logarithmic MAFs?

   Chris C.