(Bit off topic) turbo lag...

TVS tkmvs at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 10 00:19:04 GMT 2001

  I know it's a bit of topic and  I know it's been discussed many times
before (read the archives!) but I would appreciate some advice.
  I'm planing on turbocharging a Hillman Imp engine (a 930cc SOHC) with a T3
Garrett, which is bit on the large side for the engine. An intercooler would
also be used. The boost will be electronically controlled to slightly
increase and flatten the torque curve. This is to keep the head gasket in
one piece, allow a high static CR to be used and increase the toque at high
rpm to make as much power as possible. I'm hoping to allow the engine to
usefully rev to 8,500 rpm.
  There seems to be two options to keep the turbo spinning between
gearchanges:
1) Re-circulate the air from the outlet back into the inlet. This would
occur during gearchanges and, perhaps, below a given RPM so the turbo would
spool up faster. However I am concerned that the turbo *could* be over
revved.
2) Restrict the air into the turbo like a carburettored suck-thought system.
Could cause problems with oil seals and would increase the throttled volume
and so reduce throttle response. Perhaps two throttle bodies could be used
in series?
  As the car is going to be fundamentally a road car but will also be used
for hill climbs and sprints, keeping the turbo in one piece is of the utmost
importance! i.e. I don't want in inject raw fuel into the exhaust manifold!
;) I have asked a Garrett main dealer for advice but they basically told me
they weren't interested (didn't want to be held responsible if it went
wrong) and I should go to a tuning company (i.e. with a blank cheque).
Many thanks, Toby