off topic / traction control

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Jan 11 10:41:10 GMT 2001

-> The newspaper article I read stated that the internal Ford Docs
-> stated that Ford's own internal testing showed the Explorer wasn't
-> very stable and that Ford decreased the tire pressure not for ride
-> quality but to make the tires have less grip so it wouldn't roll as
-> easily.  When the dropped the
-> tire pressure it would pass Ford's own internal stability test, with
-> the tire pressure
-> raised it was not stable enough.

 Even allowing that story is true, so what?  It shows that Ford did test
the vehicle, that they found a problem (surely they find problems with
some regularity, or they wouldn't bother to test, would they?) and they
came up with a fix for that problem.

 There have been lots of cars very sensitive to tire pressure.  The
Chrysler K-cars could easily be rolled over if the front tires were
underinflated; there was even a big media flap over it.  Hell, I *saw*
one do it once.  Before that, the Corvair used different tire pressures
front and back.

 Ford can't be held responsible for people driving around with under- or
over- inflated tires, any more than they can be responsible for the same
idiots hitting other cars or stationary objects.  Most drivers are
absolute morons anyway.