advantages of electronic throttle

Axel Rietschin axel_rietschin at compuserve.com
Sat Jan 13 03:42:07 GMT 2001

> There are a few minor advantages.
>
> This is what I gather....
>
> For naturally aspirated stuff, they can make the engine more "responsive"
ie, change the opening rate of the throttle depending on what "mode" you
select, or what "mood" you are in.

> For turbo stuff, it seems that there are more advantages, the ecm can
"anticipate" when you want boost and help to spool the turbo sooner. Boost
and torque can be more linear and controllable, and I think there are some
things that they can do with anti-lag.

> For all applications they can use throttle opening as part of a traction
control/vehicle control scheme.

> It all seems like just more stuff to break to me.
> What happens when the little stepper motor on the throttle screws up? Or
when the pedal sensor shorts out?

According to Bosch, the throttle rest at a default position (two springs
defines that position) and the engine management system enters a limp home
mode with "reduced comfort" (dixit!)

Aslo, I've read in a SAE paper that some people tried to have the pedal
conceptually control the fuel delivery, and the ECM would then provide the
required air using a servo-controlled throttle. Kind of inside out, sort of.