Smartcoils & other ignition questions

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Jan 13 04:49:27 GMT 2001

I recently purchased an aftermarket engine management setup.  I am now
searching for the pieces to get it running.  I have gotten enough info
regarding the sensors, and now am ironing out the ignition and triggering.

I had originally planned on using waste spark coils fired by separate
ignition modules or igniters, rather.  I eventually realized I could not
use the GM or Ford ignition modules, since I just need a dumb module or
igniter (no crank or cam input).  I searched through the archives and
found posts about the GM "Smartcoils," which have the igniter onboard with
the single coils.  On top of that, they are relatively inexpensive.  Has
anyone used them with aftermarket or any other custom setup?  The archives
only went up to '99, and the coils were only introduced on '99- model year
autos.

I searched Autozone's online catalog and found the '99 Camaro is one of
the models using the single coils.  I suppose they are the Direct Ignition
coils I am looking for.  $35.99.  I may check my junkyard and see if I can
get a batch for cheap.

Barring use of the 'Smartcoil', which appears to be my best and cheapest
option, I will just use a plain vanilla coilpack and separate ignition
modules.  To those who have done this before, can you give me your
thoughts and information?

Regards,
Jay