Smartcoils & other ignition questions

clayb clayb at sonic.net
Sat Jan 13 17:51:06 GMT 2001

> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:51:04 -0600
> From: "Jurgen Hartwig" <jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com>
> Subject: Smartcoils & other ignition questions

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "smartcoils". I'm familiar with a
setup for the GM V6 that has the module with three wasted spark coils
bolted directly on top of it. The latest LS-1 V8 has one coil per plug,
with the coil mounted directly at the spark plug. These are not wasted
spark, however, requiring eight coils and coil drivers.

I used 4 of the GM-style wasted spark coils, but I purchased them from
Jacobs, as they are lower impedance (.6 ohm) and generate more voltage
across the secondary than the GM units. Then, I drove them with a "dumb"
four channel CD box from Autronics, which has a user-selectable
390V/450V primary setting. 4 inputs, 4 outputs, the computer handles the
timing. It generates a very hot, accurate spark.

You can buy 4 channel CD boxes from MSD (I don't think they drive low
impedance coils well), Jacobs Electronics, and Autronics. I think Crane
may also make one, by now.

- Clay