MAP and TPS LOAD based EFI

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 14 04:37:25 GMT 2001

we use this differential pressure method @ work & this assumes critical
flow & the orifice diameter must remain constant.  we control the temp of
the orifice to maintain diameter so this is not an issue.  the problem is
that for the orifice to remain @ critical flow the pressure on one side of
the orifice must be greater than 2X the pressure on the other side (or vac
must be 1/2 the other side, perspective).  this would be impossible in a
motor that is going to go from total vac (10 KPA) to wide open (100 KPA),
you would not be able to maintain critical flow.

IMO, hot wire is the best bang for the buck for measuring mass flow.  as
for efficiency, I think that the best thing for what I think you are trying
to accomplish would be the run it & measure it method.  if it were easy to
do something that would not require map/air temp/hot wire/ etc the MFG
would have done it.

if you want to go one level up on technology, i think that VW had it, w/a
variable pot connected to a vane in the intake tract.  this actually
compensates for both temp & pressure & VE, all @ the same time.  don't get
me wrong, it is not a great system, but it will work better than a straight
look up table, yet not as good as measuring these parameters & calculating
real time.

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org

quotes)

--- Bob Wooten