Smartcoils & other ignition questions

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Jan 14 15:13:41 GMT 2001

> You describe the RX-7 coil/igniter as being wasted spark, so that would
> work, if you could sequence them.

That is correct.  Wolf dealers actually use them, and I can purchase them
for about $50-70 a pair.  This is my most cost effective route, and I'll
probably do it, since I know it has been done.  I saw the posts about the
"smartcoils" and thought this would be worth investigating.  If I read the
post correctly, Gar mentioned that you might/could use the single coils in
waste spark fashion by tying the triggers together???

> But, your computer must be designed with more than one ignition output.
> If not, you have two options. Buy/build a coil sequencer, to translate
> the single pulse train output of the wolf to four (or two for wasted
> spark) individual outputs. This obviously requires cam position input,
> or just crank pos for wasted spark. I suspect your biggest problem is
> that your Wolf computer only has one ignition output, not the
> coil/driver setup.

The Wolf 3D I am using has 4 ignition outputs, but can only operate in
waste spark mode or distributor mode.  It cannot handle coil on plug,
obviously.

> My personal preference is capacitive discharge to drive the coils, but
> inductive systems can be well made and perform acceptably, also. This
> probably only becomes an issue under high boost conditions.

At generally what boost levels do you thing inductive systems become
insufficient?  I have future plans for forced induction, but nothing over
8-10psi.  I had considered the MSD or Crane DIS Capacititve Discharge
boxes, but just can't justify that cost currently, if I don't need it.
Perhaps later.

Thanks for your input,
Jay