New 42Volt systems

Jeroen Proveniers J.Proveniers at orga.nl
Wed Jan 24 08:44:06 GMT 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C085E1.136C89F0

Stepping up voltages costs power, a DC/DC convert has not 100% efficiency.
And the generator can produce large voltages easily, at higher rpms and no
regulator 150 volts would be no problem.

Say you need 40A/42V, with a stepup converter and 100% efficiency this would
lead to currents of 140A amps, you would need very thick cables. And more
important, reliability is I think not what the industries demands. Fuel
economy would suffer too.

And, it is expected that there a 12V subsystem to keep things compatible for
lamps,radios etc. The 42V system is for the real power hungry stuff like
electronic valves, electric power steering etc.
The need for a higher voltage is also becuase of the thinner cabling you can
use, thus reducing weight and conductor losses.

And finally, the  industry is working on a starter/generator hybrid
integrated into the flywheel.

> 42volts, or is
> their other reasons?
> So their will be 42Volt batteries in cars soon?
> I wonder why they chose 42volts?

> (without the quotes)
> majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org

------_=_NextPart_001_01C085E1.136C89F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>RE: New 42Volt systems</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Wes Branchflower [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:hemi_265 at hotmail.com">mailto:hemi_265 at hotmail.com</A>]</F=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 8:34 =
AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: New 42Volt systems</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Why dont they just bring the 12 upto 42volts =
with an invertor for the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; electronic valves instead of upgrading the =
whole system to </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Stepping up voltages costs power, a DC/DC convert has =
not 100% efficiency. And the generator can produce large voltages =
easily, at higher rpms and no regulator 150 volts would be no =
problem.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Say you need 40A/42V, with a stepup converter and =
100% efficiency this would lead to currents of 140A amps, you would =
need very thick cables. And more important, reliability is I think not =
what the industries demands. Fuel economy would suffer too.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And, it is expected that there a 12V subsystem to =
keep things compatible for lamps,radios etc. The 42V system is for the =
real power hungry stuff like electronic valves, electric power steering =
etc.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The need for a higher voltage is also becuase of the =
thinner cabling you can use, thus reducing weight and conductor =
losses.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And finally, the&nbsp; industry is working on a =
starter/generator hybrid integrated into the flywheel.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; 42volts, or is </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; their other reasons?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; So their will be 42Volt batteries in cars =
soon?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I wonder why they chose 42volts?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
at </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; <A HREF=3D"http://www.hotmail.com" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.hotmail.com</A>.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; (without the quotes)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; in the body of a message (not the subject) to =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>