Cracking the ECU

ext-peter.betts at nokia.com ext-peter.betts at nokia.com
Thu Jan 25 15:21:28 GMT 2001

I've just subscribed to the list but I here there's discussion on the Toyota
Supra TT ECU.

I have taken a look at the chip in question (kindly placed on the following
web page http://www.formula3.freeserve.co.uk/chip.jpg ) and these are my
findings, with help from the "Chip Directory" guys.

The 9337E07 might indicate a date code and a rev number: 1993, week 37, rev
E7.
Look around the IC. If you see the standard crystal/capacitors layout near
the IC, chances are it is a micro, probably OTP.

It looks like a batch number rather than a chip ID.
If it follows the rules of "normal" chips, 9337 would be the date
stamp - the chip was made in week 37, 1993.

Thinking back 7 years and which devices by then were packaged into
44pin PLCC, I think we can exclude memory chips. I would guess it is a
ROM or OTP microcontroller of some sort.

A glance onto the pcb around the place where this chip came from might
help further....

I need a photo of the whole ECU board and a larger one just around the area
of interest. Concensus is that it's either a programmable micro-controller
or a EPROM but I think we already know it's not an EPROM.

Best Regards

Pete
ps. Please rename this subject to the appropriate one, I don't know the
exact thread subject.