Question--Injector on time versus Intake event

Ron Boley ronboley at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jan 25 20:56:12 GMT 2001

I'm a little confused about what I am seeing when I measure my injector on
time at 6000 RPM.

The engine is a 351W with 24lb injectors and it looks to be about 400hp at
the flywheel.  My my cam specification says that the intake event is 280
degrees.  At 6000 rpm the engine is rotating once every 10 milliseconds and
it takes two revolutions for a complete cycle.  So the math [(280/720)*20ms]
says the intake event should be in the range of  7.78ms.

My datalog says the injector is active for over 16.7ms at 6000 rpm!  Is an
on-time of 16.7ms excessive or out of range here?   Please elaborate and
share the theory.  It feels wrong but the car doesn't seem to be compaining
:-)

Thanks Ron