off list carb question

Wes Branchflower hemi_265 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 28 14:21:34 GMT 2001

In the case of webbers, the reason theirs not much info on thier CFM's is
because of their applications. Their usually used in sets of 2,3 or 4. The
CFM of 3 webbers connected to a common intake plenum, will have a much
higher CFM than of them connected to non common intake.

An example of a non common intake, is the auzzie valiant charger. It uses 3
2bbl webbers on a 6 cylinder engine. Effectivly one carb for every 2
cylinders, or one throat each. If it used all 3 on a common plenum, there
would be way to much CFM to work problerly

Because the carb is only being sucked through 2 times every 720degree's
it creates a 'different' CFM, than the almost constant suction which would
be present with a common plenum.

45's are meant to flow 250cfm per barrel,

Webbers don't really use CFM, they use revs vs. cylinder size. This formula
will calculate choke size of a give RPM -

Choke = 20 x SQRT(((cc/cyl) x rpm) / 1e6

This formula only works for 1 throat per cylinder.

The formula for RPM is -
rpm = 1e6(choke/20)^2 x (cyl / cc)

I learnt most of this stuff of the australian chryslers discussion forum..
so i don't take cred for the formula's etc..

hope this helps.