intake plenum size?

Larry Heath lgheath at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 3 11:53:27 GMT 2001

Yes larger than engine size plenums work well on larger engines, I don't
know how this would work on smaller short stroke engines. I run an injected
565" alcohol engine that uses a plenum of aprox 1120 cuin which is obviously
just about 2x engine size. It runs very hard on the top end, about 5 or 6
mph faster than what a car with a typical manifold would at the same ET.
This is with runner lengths and areas sized for optimum torque production at
much less that max hp rpm. I am of the opinion that the larger the plenum
size, to a point, the better the pulse/resonant tuning is, i.e. the large
plenum allows a bunch better reflection of the pulses and at the same time
keeps crosstalk from cylinder to cylinder lower.

It seems to work for me, anyway.

Later Larry