DIY flowbench?

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Wed Jul 4 18:22:22 GMT 2001

Are you going to a full on race truck?.
For a street ride your making a real project out of things, IMO.   What
kills most engines is detonation, so why not concentrate on that?.  Get the
heads off and smooth out the combustion chambers, for a majority of the work
a 3/8" ball stone will work fine.  Then use some smaller ones for around the
valve seats, and a small radius where the chamber meets the flat surface of
the head.  Then just clean out the chunks around the valve pocket, generate
some smooth radiuses, without removing any more metal then needed.  If you
want to reduce the surface area of the exhaust ports then smooth them out
(min heat transfer to the head itself).
  If you must do the port to gasket thing then leave the head side of the
operation a wee bit larger then the corresponding intake side, so there is a
small step there.
  The above is what works for me.
  Populat Hot Rodding had a couple articles a few years ago on DIY a flow
bench, at one time someone had a URl, for a scanned copy of the article
Bruce

From: "Barry Tisdale" <btisdale at cybersol.com>
Subject: DIY flowbench?