DIY flowbench?

Jorgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Thu Jul 5 00:21:50 GMT 2001

Hi,

Are you still running the stock turbo, exhaust manifold and downpipe? Have
you removed the catalythic converter?

Now we schedule a piston and rod swap on all trucks that show up with a
stock turbo and no cat, the wastegate has a hard time controlling the boost
pressure whithout additional backpressure of the cat. We have done a few
trucks that has had this problem, we have heard of a few more over here.
Nowdays the leakdown test is done mostly for appearance, the result is
always the same...

The trw(2442? I'll have to check my notes to be sure.) pistons work great in
these trucks, we also install a set of Eagle H-beam rods at the same time.
The stock rods and ring lands has often failed at the same time anyway. Not
one rod or piston has failed since we started using this combo.

The smothing of the combustion chamber that Bruce mentioned is probably a
good idea, but WE don't do that on these engines. Detonation is usually not
a problem for us. We recommend going for ported Vortec heads with a ported
intake after the truck has new headers, turbo and exhaust. Of course a
hotter cam is installed at the same time as the rods and pistons are
changed. When the Vortec heads are installed an other cam is installed too,
a turbo upgrade is often needed too.

We don't install new heads until we have aftermarket engine management
installed, it is probably doable but someone has to pay for the time.

Jorgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden.