DIY flowbench?

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jul 5 22:44:47 GMT 2001

From: "Walter Sherwin" <wsherwin at home.com>
Subject: Re: DIY flowbench?
> > Now we schedule a piston and rod swap on all trucks that show up with a
> > stock turbo and no cat, the wastegate has a hard time controlling the
> boost
> > pressure whithout additional backpressure of the cat. We have done a few
> > trucks that has had this problem, we have heard of a few more over here.
> > Nowdays the leakdown test is done mostly for appearance, the result is
> > always the same...

> This twigs a question I'd love to ask you.  Have you ever measured the
> backpressure between say the engine and turbine, or the turbine and
exhaust,
> or the engine and exhaust, of any of these turbo'd Syclones or Typhoons?
> Have always been kinda curious as to what the EBP would be.  Thinking
> further abroad,  turbos must be pretty sensitive to overall EBP in terms
of
> their ability to make boost?.....
> Walt.

On the oem type setups, EBP of twice as much as boost is common.
On some aftermarket Honda stuff they are claiming to have reached "cross
over", where there is less EBP then boost,  but they are using rather large
turbos in the examples they showed.

I just recently went quiet with the GN and added an addition muffler,   and
the car definetely picked up some performance.
Bruce