Air cooled EFI, was 911 Porsche, kit to convert from

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Fri Jul 6 13:14:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am also trying to convert an air cooled engine to EFI.  My question is
what is different about an air cooled engine compared to a water cooled one
that I should worry about?  Is 14.7:1 A/F ratio still good or should it run
richer than that.  Due to the power/weight ratio of the vehicle, engine
load changes will be slow so I think that I might be able to run closed
loop all the time.

The engine is very loud.  Is there a reliable way to detect the onset of
pinging on an air cooled engine other than by ear.  I would like to control
spark with the ECM too since the dist. is mechanical advance only.

The engine is a 2.5L inline 4 cyl. with 2 - 2 bbl carbs.  I want to improve
cold start and running as my primary goal.  Cleaning up the exhaust would
be nice too.

Thanks,

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH