Howell, Again

Onebil2mny at aol.com Onebil2mny at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 01:17:41 GMT 2001

OK boys and girls, this is where we have gotten. We installed the new
computer and it fired up fine. A little hesitation at first, but that went
away. I assume this is because the new computer had to learn. Anyway, the
first 100 miles or so went fine, and I thought we had it licked. I thought
wrong. Here are the symptoms, and what I have checked.

You may recall that this is an LT-4 Corvette motor installed in a 1956
Chevrolet. The computer (18188021) and harness was purchased from Howell
Engineering. The computer is set up as a speed density system, and uses the
following sensors.

    MAP sensor
    MAT sensor
    Cam sensor (I assume) from the distributor
    (2) O2 sensors (4 wire)
    (2) Knock sensors (common wire)
    TPS sensor
    Coolant Temp. sensor

The problem is that sometimes, usually during "warm up" as the vehicle goes
into closed loop, the computer will drive one bank so rich as to blow black
smoke from that side of the exhaust. Although it hasn't acted up on the scan
tool recently, the last time it did, the O2 readings were high, while the
pulse width was wide, indicating that the computer was driving that bank
rich. It recently acted up, and set a left side lean exhaust code (44) but I
do not know which side was running rich at that time.

I have checked for crossed O2 harnesses and they check out. I got a print out
of the pin voltages, and did the requisite checks on the O2 sensors and
everything checks OK, zero volts on the "low" side of the O2 sensor, etc. The
low side does read around 1.5v on the harness side when the sensor is
disconnected, but I see no specification for a disconnected sensor. While my
next step is to start checking ECM grounds, I am hoping that someone else
will have another idea. I am certain the ECM is grounded, and grounded well,
but I am going to check just to be certain.

Thanks for any input you can send me...  This thing is starting to... erm...
well, I'm not real happy with it, that's for certain!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill K