Measuring VE

gte861v at prism.gatech.edu gte861v at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 10 19:01:38 GMT 2001

Would it be possible to measure the Volumetric Efficiency on an engine using a
correctly calibrated MAF sensor?  I have been pondering this idea.  I have an
engine dyno on which to do the measuring and a wind tunnel and the appropriate
hardware to accurately calibrate a MAF sensor so why couldn't I measue the VE
of the engine? All that I would have to do is at a certain RPM measure the air
flow, calculate what it should be based on that displacement at that RPM and do
the percentage.  Is there something I have forgotten or could this be a
valuable way to accurately set my VE tables.  Thanks,

Scott Flanagan
GT Motorsports Powertrain Leader
www.me.gatech.edu/gtmotorsports/
Georgia Institute of Technology