Maximum advance

James Montebello jamesm at lapuwali.com
Tue Jul 10 23:08:13 GMT 2001

Lower octane does not equal higher burn rate.  Octane is strictly
a measure of resistance to detonation.  Lower octane fuels TEND to
burn faster, but this isn't true in all cases.  Anything you can do
to increase detonation resistance is a good thing, since it allows
a higher compression ratio, which means greater thermal efficiency.
If the price of higher compression is more spark advance, so be it.

Racing teams also can't just use any fuel they feel like.  Low buck teams
have to use what they can afford (pump gas), high buck teams have to
use what the rules makers allow them to use.  There's a certain amount
of inertia there.  Racers can be (and the successful ones usually are)
as conservative as anyone else.  I suspect current practice strikes
a reasonable balance between flame speed and knock prevention.

As an aside, Keith Duckworth used to say that he considered any engine
that could acheive mean best torque with less than 30 degrees of advance
to be a good engine, and less than 25 degrees to be an exceptional engine.
The DFV typically ran best with 28 degrees on the fuels used when it
was introduced.

james montebello