Max Advance

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Jul 12 14:16:09 GMT 2001

While at the big EAA flyin at Oshkosh last year, I visited as many technical
forums as possible.  One of the most novel developments was a system by
GAMI, a company well known for its injector technology.  Well, what they did
was develop a system that used modified spark plugs to sense cylinder
pressure, and then servoed the ignition timing appropriately.  Their
research was based on some SAE papers, and their own experience; and they
found the best performance with a peak pressure pulse between 13 and 15
degrees ATDC.

The system is so elegant, as it behaves like a proper feedback loop should
behave.  It automatically accounts for air mass, fuel quality and other
variables.  As an added bonus, if the pressure is integrated over the crank
cycle, and then a baseline subtracted, it will show total shaft horsepower
that's accurate within a few percent.

I've been looking for a similar spark plug sensor.  The one from Optrand
sure looks a lot like the one being resold by GAMI.