Maximum advance

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Thu Jul 12 18:37:56 GMT 2001

Eric Fahlgren wrote:

> actually doing useful work (or so it seems to me).  The Q term
> is interesting in and of itself, so I think I'll write a little
> plotter that produces a bunch of curves for various rod/stroke
> ratios (and maybe with bore offsets, too).

See http://members.home.net/pfahlgren/cars/Qplot.jpg for some
curves with the bore centerline directly over the crankshaft
centerline.  I'll do some later with offset bores.

Note that based purely on geometry terms, you should have the
longest rods possible.  This is, of course, completely too
simplistic in a real motor, where the P curve varies shape
grossly depending on this geometry and ignition timing et cetera,
but it is almost certainly the case that small L (short rods)
should be avoided.

Now if I can only come up with a thermodynamic model for combustion,
as Bernd suggests, then I can model timing and torque variations.

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA