Maximum advance

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Fri Jul 13 12:37:00 GMT 2001

>I would assume (yeah, I know assume = ...) that the temperature is rising
>throughout the flame front travel, and then drops as pressure drops when the
>piston starts significantly accelerating down. The air:fuel mix in front of
>the flame front also heats up by radiation from the flame front.

Yes, but also from (nearly) adiabatic compression because of the relative
expansion of the burnt gasses.

I would
>think the end gasses behind the front would heat too,

Both from ratiation (but much less than the unburnt gasses do, since they
are much hotter) and also from further compression.

Both effects are countered by the cooling which occurs as expansion begins.

Greg