Dyno testing turbo cars

lance lmwolrab at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 21 22:37:56 GMT 2001

I am curious about accepted practices for dynoing turbo cars with
intercoolers.  I know it's not possible to exactly replicate high speed
airflow through the IC and radiator, but what is considered sufficient?
Does heat transfer continue to increase with higher airflow, or is it like
the "chill factor" and above a certain speed there is little or no increased
effect?

I have heard of using ice and N2O on intercoolers and intakes, using a
higher octane fuel (but I don't think this accurately simulates better
charge air cooling), and using large (4') box fans to simulate air moving at
road speed.  Does anyone know what is truly representative?

Lance