Maximum advance

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Jul 25 02:20:15 GMT 2001

Axel Rietschin wrote:

> The true solution is to use an engine dyno. Chassis dyno is probably a bit
> better than open roads to make a ignition map, but it is still far too noisy
> to do a good job IMO. Also you may well melt a few engines before you figure
> out what is knock and what is not on the pressure diagrams, or while you
> debug your filtering software.
>
> With a copper pipe bolted on the head and connected to a "stethoscope" on
> <snip>
> the old way is still by far the best IMHO.
>
> --Axel

Just out of curiosity, was there a torque peak or other indication of "good"
timing at detonation - 2 deg. ???  Could torque have been higher at detonation -
4 degrees ---- or 6 deg.???  Do you have any data logging that would help???
Just trying to skin the cat another way.  I realize that turbo motors have
different characteristics (faster flame speed, etc.), ( and they are easier to
melt),  but we are looking for peak torque w/o detonation. Some engines make
more torque after detonation starts (diesels).   Tom S.