Water Injection

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Thu Jul 26 03:58:48 GMT 2001

Things that will ruin your day (water injection not in this list) ...

Bruce wrote:

> Guess we better all go to air cooled engines, heck a blown headgasket can
> fill a cylinder with water.

  Been there - with a Hillman Imp 875 cc. Notorious for blown head gaskets.
  "Why won't the starter turn the motor"...

  OTOH, VW 1200 A/C Kombi, windy day down the road - pffft - what was that puff
  of smoke - damn, why is this spark plug hanging loose? Hmm, dropped valve...

> Better dump that port type injection, a leaking injector can dump a bunch of
> fuel in a cylinder.

  Done that - Volvo 244, pumped the sump full of petrol! Well, mechanical FI,
  what can you say?

I'd like to add that no vehicles should be allowed to carry any kind of
volatile and/or flammable liquids:

  Been there too, VW Golf - went up in flames when the fuel line came off
  and ignited the plastic air filter (the wife was driving that time..).

Now, those tyres, pumped up to 30 psi!

  The guy down the road killed himself when a tractor tyre exploded -
  and that was at less than 10 psi.

Concentrated HCl in those innocuous looking batteries!

  When I was pretty young, I attempted to see if the gas coming from a small
  motorcycle battery was in fact an explosive mix - match on the vent while
  it was charging - sure enough, it's explosive .... and the acid is pretty
  corrosive too.

Where do you stop? Water injection? There are lots more things to worry about.

Peter.