water injection

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Fri Jul 27 19:32:12 GMT 2001

How is a microcontroller any more reliable then a pressure switch?.
It would be interesting to see if a microprocessor system is any better then
a 2-3 staged system.   But gets kinda mute, unless someone knows of a real
fast operating *water Injector*.    With as erosive as water is, I put my
money on just using a few solenoids, since they would be so much less likely
to fail then a pulsing injector arrangement.
bruce

From: Roy
Subject: water injection
Hi all I think water injection on turbo engines offers to many benifits for
it to be discarded, therefore I would say that it's worth the extra effort
to make sure the system is fail safe. Hydrolocking is the biggest and most
costly problem and the safest way of controling the system would be with a
microcontroller system rather than just a simple pressure switch. This way
you could map the volume of water injection to engine needs and ensure
certain parameters are met before allowing the system to function, ie is
there water in the reservoir. If the system does not meet these parameters
then no water would be injected and you could switch to a SAFE engine
calibration that is not based upon the use of water injection to help
control detonation. As for the system you have two basic choices, a pump or
a pressurised reservoir. I like the idea of a pressurised reservoir but the
volume injected will decrease as the bottle empties as the pressure will be
falling. You could use one of those 12 volt portable tyre pumps to maintain
the reservoir pressure and a pressure switch to control the pump. A good
pumped system is made by a company called aquamist here in the UK,
www.aquamist.co.uk. To prevent hydrolocking try using a solenoid that vents
the water injection pipe to atmosphere, this opens to drain the pipe before
the engine is shut down and remains open so as no syphoning effects occur.
Hope this helps Roy ( Spectric's Ltd ) Aquamist.co.uk