Water Injection

Joseph Obernberger joelori at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 28 00:34:39 GMT 2001

Hi - just wanted to add here...  I was running about 14.2psi of boost on my 1991
MR2 Turbo - and occasionally the ECU would go into the 'bad gas' mode of
operation.  With water injection, I now run 17.0psi and have never seen the ECU
go into this mode.
I think to better the current setup <http://josepho.www4.50megs.com/WI> I was
thinking (and other have suggested) that I can add a cheap compressor ($9.99 at
target - can do 300psi) and a 100psi pressure switch to maintain the tank
pressure at 100psi.  I bought a water pressure gauge from Lowes ($5.00) and
should be able to watch the tank water pressure to ensure that water is being
injected (as well as LEDs for the solenoids), and ensure the tank is not empty
(gauge would read 0).
So: gauge to watch pressure, LEDs to watch solenoid operation, and duel
solenoids to make certain the engine doesn't get flooded with water in case one
fails.  Is that enough safe guards?  Any more that should be implemented?  I'm
thinking of running the engine to depend on water.
BTW - anyone know of one of those cheap tire air compressors that already has an
adjustable pressure switch built in?  I can get a 100psi switch from
<http://www.poweraire.com> for around $20.00.  So ~$30.00 for a system that
would maintain tank pressure to 100psi.  What are people's thoughts on injecting
water pre-intercooler?
Thanks!  All thoughts/opinions welcome!  I love this discussion.

                                            joeo